The winner and runners-up in the Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award 2015 have been notified.
The award ceremony will take place in the Patrick Kavanagh Centre
on Friday 25th September at 9pm.
The result of the winner, runners-up and highly commended will be published on our website on Monday 28th September 2015.
We take this opportunity to thank all those who made submissions to the competition.
The Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award for a first unpublished collection of poems in English is open to poets, born in the island of Ireland, or of Irish nationality, or long term resident in Ireland.
The award is now in its 45th year. Previous winners include Eileán Ni Chuilleanáin, Paul Durcan, Thomas McCarthy,
Peter Sirr, Sinead Morrissey, Conor O’Callaghan, Celia de Freine and Joseph Woods.
The winner of this year’s award will receive €1,000.
The Award will be presented on Friday 25th September at the opening of the Annual Patrick Kavanagh Weekend in Inniskeen.
For Second-level Students – Rules
1. Competition is open to second-level students throughout the thirty two Counties of Ireland.
2. Each student may enter one poem, of any length.
3. The poem must be the student’s own unaided work. It may be published by the organiser at some future date.
4. The competition will be divided into two sections.
SECTION A – UNDER 15 YEARS (JUNIOR)
SECTION B – 15 YEARS AND OVER (SENIOR)
5. Themes suggested for 2015 but no subject is excluded:
(a) Childhood – Memories – Growing Up
(b) Seasons – Environment –Nature
(c) Home – Family – Friendship
(d) Celebrity – Fashion – Pop Culture – Politics
(e) Happiness – Hope – Laughter
(f) Warmth – Smiles – Fun
6. Entries will be professionally adjudicated.
7. The closing date for receipt of entries is Monday 10th August 2015.
Late entries will not be considered.
8. Winners will receive the following prizes:
Section A – 1st. €75 2nd €50 3rd €35 (each with certificate).
Section B – 1st. €100 2nd €75 3rd €50 (each with certificate).
9. Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form signed by the student and countersigned by his/her English teacher. No personal details (name, age, school, etc. should appear on the same page as the poem.
10. Winning schools and students will be notified of results by Friday, 11th September 2015.
11. Presentation of this year’s certificates and prizes will be held on the afternoon of Sunday, 27th September at 2.30pm in the Patrick Kavanagh Centre, Inniskeen. Winning schools will be given notice of same. (The annual Patrick Kavanagh Weekend takes place as usual in Inniskeen from Friday 256h – Sunday 27th September 2015).
ENTRIES & ENQUIRIES TO:
Student Poetry Competition
Patrick Kavanagh Centre,
Tel. 00353(0)429378560, Fax 00353(0)429378855