- The winner of this year’s award will receive €1,000.
- The award is for an unpublished collection of poems in English and is open to poets, born in the island of Ireland, or of Irish nationality, or long term resident in Ireland. Manuscripts accepted for publication shall be eligible ONLY if the resulting collection of poems is NOT published before the judges’ decision is announced.
- No previous outright winner shall be eligible to enter again.
- The collection of poems in English must be original and consist of 20 poems. Individual poems should not be more than 40 lines.
- The only works eligible are unpublished or magazine published work. Entrants should not list the magazines where poems have been published or the prizes they have won as this might allow an entrant to be identified.
- Two typed copies of the collection must be submitted with an entry form.
- The author’s name should appear only on the entry form below and not on the typed copies.
- The Patrick Kavanagh Society does not return manuscripts entered.
- The adjudicator is Brian Lynch: www.brianlynch.org. His decision is final. He cannot enter into correspondence with entrants re their submission.
- The Patrick Kavanagh Society reserves the right to arrange with the poet a reading from their award winning entry at the Annual Kavanagh Commemoration at Inniskeen on the weekend beginning 28th September 2018.
The entry fee is €25/£25 and should be made payable to The Patrick Kavanagh Society.
Closing date for entries is Friday 27th July 2018.
Download and sign the rules form for the Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Awards 2018 here.