Inniskeen Village – Local Organisations

 

1. Gaelic Football
2. Camogie

Medals

1. All-Ireland (junior) 1956
2. National Football League ’84-’85
3. Monaghan Senior Football Championship 1948
4. Ulster Railway Cup, 1965
5. Monaghan Senior Football Championship, 1938

 

Gaelic Football
Cumann Inis Caoin: 1888-Present Gaelic games have had a long and noble tradition in the district,
the formation of the club predating the formation of the county board in 1897.Inniskeen has been known as the Grattans since 1938, it being commonplace for a team to be named after some political favourites of the time or Gaelic folklore characters.The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) was founded in Hayes Hotel, Thurles, Co. Tipperary on 1st November 1884. In late 1887, the association arrived in Co. Monaghan with a meeting being held in O’Neills Hotel Carrickmacross at which arrangements were made for the holding of the first senior county championship. Inniskeen won the first county championship in 1888 and went on to represent Monaghan in the Ulster Championship. Monaghan are credited with being the first Ulster champions but the honour belongs to the Inniskeen Grattans club – the first true Ulster club champions.

The present day club supports and fields teams in both Gaelic football and hurling which is very fitting, as according to local history, the original game played by the inhabitants in the district was not football but the game of hurling. Irish was the spoken language of the people at the time and an account of a local match has been handed down to us in the form of a poem ‘Iommain Athnagaoin’ (The hurling match of Inniskeen), which is ascribed to Micheal McMahaon, a poet from our neighbouring parish of Donaghmoyne.

The club bore the name of ‘Fane Rovers’ in the early 1900s, however in 1938 the Rovers name was dropped and the ‘Grattans’ name reinstated, the club finished up as Senior County Champions that year. The Grattans dwelled in different homes over the years, pitches down through the years including Kenny’s at Rocksavage; Byrnes field at Momoney; Cafferys meadow at Annagerail; Meegans meadow at Lannett; Martins field at Knock; Toals field at Inniskeen; Carolans field at Moyles and McNellos field which is presently Grattan Park. Grattan Park was purchased from the McNello family in 1955 and developed over the next few years with the official opening taking place on Sunday 29th May 1960.
1. All-Ireland (junior) 1956
2. National Football League ’84-’85
3. Monaghan Senior Football Championship 1948
4. Ulster Railway Cup, 1965
5. Monaghan Senior Football Championship, 1938

Redevelopment at Grattan Park has continued over the years, the facilities now include dressing rooms, recreation room, handball alley and a spectator stand which was erected in 1985. The opening of the Sports Centre in 1982 introduced the game of handball into Inniskeen for the first time. The publication of ‘The Inniskeen Story: A history 1888-1988’ which is a history of Inniskeen Grattans coincided with the centenary of the winning of the first ever Ulster Senior football Championship by Monaghan in 1888, represented at the time by Inniskeen, who were senior championship winners in the country. This book is not alone a fitting tribute and a history of GAA in Inniskeen but also gives an in-depth account of the history of the Kavanagh Country.

Camogie
During the 30’s Camogie was introduced to the parish of Inniskeen. It was novel and entertaining as reflected in the attendances. The ladies camogie team soon became a force in the country. They were splendidly turned out in orange gym frocks which the soubriquet “The Vallabellies”.

In 1970 a new primary school built in the heart of the village. St. Daigh’s School was opened in September 1970, and it was at this time that camogie had its regeneration in the parish. Four primary schools amalgamated: Drumsinnott, Drumlusty, Inniskeen and Kidnaminsha. Drumsinnott School (already influenced by the neighbouring Kilkerley Club) pupils introduced the game to the new school because the girls from Drumsinnott brought their camans to the new school. Pauline Flanagan (nee Rooney) the teacher from Drumlusty School saw the potential of the girls and decided to form a team, little thinking that she was about to form one of the most successful clubs in Monaghan. These young girls were going to bring honour and glory back to the small parish of Inniskeen and indeed the county on many occasions after 1970.

Back to Main

Opening Hours

Patrick Kavanagh Centre

Tours can be arranged at anytime by prior appointment

For information and booking phone 042 937 8560
Email: infoatpkc@eircom.net

Categories